ELEVATE AKRON, a report commissioned by the city of Akron, The Chamber of Commerce, and the County of Summit is important for us to know about. Elevate Akron: Embracing The New Fundamentals Report was released October 2018.
This report describes the dismal fact—
“Much of Akron, particularly its black population, is excluded from economic opportunity.”
A collaborative of individuals spent the last six months working on how to address the report.
Were you at the table?
READ IT! SHARE IT!
LETS NOT ALLOW THE ECONOMIC DISPARITIES TO CONTINUE.
LET’S DEVELOP OUR AGENDA TO ELEVATE AKRON TOGETHER.
Remember, if you are not at the table—you are on the menu.
Here is the Elevate Akron presentation shared at the Akron Roundtable:
100 YEARS OF SERVING THE AKRON COMMUNITY
The NAACP, (NATIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF COLORED PEOPLE) is the oldest and largest civil rights movement in the country.
The Akron NAACP is one hundred years old.
It was formed 10 years after the birth of the national association. It has always been on the forefront of every civil rights initiative in the United States:
- When lynching was prevalent
- When racism was the norm
- When lunch counters, restaurants & hotels were exclusionary
- When schools were segregated
- When neighborhoods were exclusionary
- When national, state and local laws prohibited the rights to vote
- When legislative and political entities continually try to strip voting rights
The NAACP nationally and locally is evolving. One thing for sure it remains true to its mission
“to ensure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate race-based discrimination.”
The Akron NAACP is committed to uphold the mission of the organization. We want you to be
- Included in opportunities for advancement,
- informed voters
- Ignited to create change, and
- Involved in the economic and educational progress of your city.